Thursday, July 24, 2008

Web 2.0 Tools

I prefer to keep my Internet-based information sharing to a minimum (e.g. when required for class), so I don't use many of the popular Web 2.0 tools -- at least not the way other folks use them. I subscribe to RSS feeds from some of the best thinkers in my profession, but you won't find me on MySpace, youTube, or any of the other 'socialization' sites. I'd rather go hiking....

That doesn't mean I don't use web-based collaboration tools. My work requires network-based interaction, but that's always conducted in secure, closed sessions (at least we hope it is). I use NetMeeting, WebEx, and other collaboration tools. I wouldn't associate these with the "Web 2.0" buzzword, but there are some commonality in terms of purpose and technology.

I'm more interested in the underlying mechanisms that support the Web 2.0 approach to information sharing. I've worked on projects that use REST, XML, Atom/RSS, and a variety of large-scale data dissemination / management strategies --- the same underlying technologies that support all this Internet-based collaboration. Theses technical aspects are far more interesting to me than reading some anonymous person's opinions on gun ownership, or the plight of the caribou.

1 comment:

Lyr Lobo said...

I agree, Terry. My Myspace sites keep expiring due to disuse and when I am unable to renew them, I feel artificially relieved that sites bearing my name are no longer available. *grins*

I've used Netmeeting since 1997 when I used it to collaborate with gamers and designers around the country. We also used it during our artificial intelligence project to conduct remote simulations and testing while the team observed the results via application sharing.

While NetMeeting exists on most systems that run Windows under the client.exe file name, it may not be considered Web 2.0 because it does not run online or use your browser.

Then again, I haven't used it in a couple of years and anything is possible, eh? *grins* Still it is one of the handiest free applications and allows help desk support folks to share applications and with permission, assume remote control of a system.